Video is one of the most powerful tools that B2B brands can use to reach their target audiences. Explainer videos are effective tools for demand-generation marketing.
They are versatile tools, something like a Swiss army knife. Only a marketer's imagination limits their potential for software marketing.
The US video marketing industry alone is worth $135 billion, according to a study by Social Media Week. This should give you a fair idea about the efficacy of explainer videos.
In terms of generating quality leads and improving product usage, explainer videos may be of considerable benefit to B2B brands.
This guide tells you how you can harness the power of explainer videos for demand generation marketing. Let’s get an introduction to the topic.
How does demand generation marketing work for B2B brands?
Demand generation marketing is the process of creating demand for a product or service among a target group of potential customers.
It is a form of marketing that is focused on generating leads and sales opportunities, rather than simply creating awareness or brand loyalty.
In the case of B2B brands, demand generation marketing is typically used to target businesses and professionals who may be interested in using the product or service in their business.
This can involve a variety of marketing activities, such as content marketing, search engine optimization, lead generation campaigns, and email marketing.
What challenges do B2B brands face with demand generation marketing?
One of the main challenges that B2B brands face with demand generation marketing is the need to create high-quality content that will appeal to their target audience. Many professionals and businesses are too busy to read long, detailed articles or whitepapers, which can be a challenge.
As a result, it is important for B2B brands to create content that is concise and to the point, while still providing valuable information.
Another challenge that B2B brands face is generating leads that are interested in the product or service. This can be difficult because businesses and professionals receive a large number of marketing messages and may not have the time or inclination to respond to every message they receive.
What is the difference between lead generation and demand generation? Let’s find out:
- Lead Generation - Identifies and nurtures potential customers
- Demand Generation - Generates qualified leads for your sales team by creating interest in your products and services
Here is a comparison between the two:
How can explainer videos help B2B brands with demand generation marketing?
If you're looking for a way to increase demand generation and boost your brand, consider using explainer videos. An explainer video is a short, usually animated video that explains a complex concept or product in a simple, easy-to-understand way.
Here are eight ways in which B2B brands can use explainer videos to increase demand and brand awareness:
1. Use them on your website
Your website is one of the first places prospects will go to learn more about your brand and what you offer. Provide visitors with a quick overview of what you do by including an explainer video prominently on your homepage.
Software and SaaS companies often have complex products and services that need a lot of explanation to potential clients. Explainer videos are a good fit for these companies.
Animated explainer videos break down complex concepts into easy-to-understand chunks. Plus, they're highly engaging and can help increase website traffic and conversion rates.
For example, the animated explainer video company Explainer Video Hero displays its work examples prominently on the video example page:
If you're thinking about using an explainer video on your company website, there are a few things to keep in mind.
- Firstly, your content must be relevant to your audience and something they'll enjoy.
- Secondly, the video should be high quality and professional, with clear audio and visuals.
- Finally, optimize them for search engines by including relevant keywords and phrases in the title, description, and tags.
2. Use them in your email marketing
As a marketer, you know that email marketing is a powerful tool to reach your audience. But what if you could take your email marketing to the next level with explainer videos and build a healthy email list?
You can use an explainer video in your email marketing campaigns to grab attention and increase click-through rates. If you have a video that's particularly relevant to the content of your email, consider adding it as a featured element.
Here is how you can use explainer videos in your email marketing for demand generation:
- Email subject lines: Grabs your audience's attention.
- Email content: Engages your audience and makes your message effective
- Email signature: Ensures that your entire audience can view it.
- Email marketing campaigns: Ensures uptick in click-through rates and conversions.
- Automated Emails: Helps engage your subscribers and keep them informed about your product or service.
For example, a under 30 second explainer video created by Content Beta for pipe would work well because of its relatively smaller size
3. Use them as a social media ad
Social media can help you reach a larger audience with your explainer video. You can promote your video with a paid ad on platforms like Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn, or organically through your social channels.
Animated explainer videos are an engaging, visually appealing way to communicate complex information in a way that is easy for your audience to understand. And when used in social media ads, they can be highly effective in driving leads and sales.
Here are four tips for using explainer videos in your social media ads:
- Keep it short and sweet: Keep your video under a minute. This will ensure that your audience stays engaged and doesn't get bored.
- Make it relevant: Make sure the information you're sharing is something that they will find useful and interesting.
- Test, test, test: Test different versions of your explainer video to see what works best. Try different lengths, formats, and calls to action to see what gets the best results.
- Use a CTA: Encourage your audience to take the next step, whether signing up for a free trial or making a purchase.
Explainer Video Hero created this explainer video for In-app Chat, an instant messaging app that allows you to create your Person-to-Person messaging, Chatbots, and ChatOps. Check out the use of a simple call to action:
4. Use them on landing pages
In any B2B demand generation campaign, landing pages are essential. They can increase conversions for your business by providing a focused, relevant, and targeted message to users.
Here is how they help B2B demand generation:
- They provide a focused message: Users should understand immediately what you do and how it can benefit them when they visit your landing page. This focus can be achieved through strong copywriting and an effective explainer video.
- They use a relevant call to action: A landing page makes it easy to use a relevant call to action such as signing up for a free trial or registering for a webinar.
- They create a sense of urgency: They create a sense of urgency among your prospects. A good strategy is to create limited offer promotions such as a free trial for the first 10 people.
Explainer videos make a perfect companion to landing pages when you're running a paid ad campaign. Consider linking to a landing page with your video front and center. Giving visitors an easy way to learn more about your brand can help increase conversion rates.
Here is a good example of an explainer video created by Explainer Video Hero for Book Like Boss that features a landing page offering viewers a 14-Day free trial:
5. Use them in blog posts
Blog posts keep your website fresh and relevant. They also allow you to show off your company’s unique voice.
A well-written and informative blog post can help you generate leads and grow your business. Here’s why:
- Attract new visitors to your website: Write blog posts that are optimized for search engines to attract more visitors.
- Build credibility and authority: Well-researched blogs share useful information, offer valuable insights, and build your reputation as an industry expert.
- Thought leadership: Blog posts help you establish yourself as a thought leader in your industry.
If you have a blog, consider adding an explainer video to relevant posts. This can help break up text-heavy content and keep readers engaged. Plus, you can use your video to drive traffic back to your website or landing pages.
This is how Explainer Video Hero uses YouTube videos in its blogs.
For example, this explainer video was created by Explainer Video Hero for myCOI, the automation solution for the request, collection, and resolution of insurance certificates. The video can be used with their blogs on third-party compliance:
6. Use them in sales presentations
Sales presentations are typically given by sales representatives who are assigned to a territory or region. They help B2B brands to:
- Explain their products and services to potential customers.
- Help potential customers to make an informed purchasing decision.
- Build brand awareness and relationships.
Sales reps are tasked with identifying potential customers and persuading them to purchase products and services from the company.
The process is complex and involves a high degree of collaboration between several internal departments.
An explainer video is tailor-made for sales presentations. Use its sales and marketing power to quickly and effectively communicate what your brand does and how you can help the prospect achieve their goals.
Like this explainer video created by Explainer Video Hero for Ibexa, the Digital Experience Platform for B2B brands:
7. Use them at trade shows and events
Trade shows and events are important for B2B demand generation because they provide opportunities for companies to meet potential customers and partners face-to-face.
They also enable B2B brands to showcase their products and services to a wider audience.
Typically, B2B businesses set up a booth at a trade show to show off their products, services, and company history.
Run your explainer video on a large screen in your booth, or play it on a loop on several smaller monitors. A video can do the job of a whole team of sales reps on your payroll or a group of people you have hired for the purpose.
Imagine running an explainer video like this one created by Explainer Video Hero for XOXO in a loop on a big screen. That can save a ton of your time trying to explain your product or service to the gathered crowd:
8. Use them on your YouTube channel
YouTube is one of the most popular websites in the world, with over a billion users. It's also the second largest search engine, after Google.
Google statistics show that 70% of people have bought a product after watching a YouTube advertisement. This makes it an important platform for businesses to generate demand for their products and services.
YouTube allows businesses to create and share engaging videos that explain their products and services.
If you have a YouTube channel, make sure to upload your explainer video. You can use YouTube's powerful search engine to help people find your video and learn more about your brand.
This is Content Beta YouTube Homepage which hosts search engine optimized videos:
Look at this explainer video example, ‘10 Ways to Show Mouse Click Effects’, created by Content Beta and hosted on their YouTube channel:
Wrapping up the article
Before we conclude, let’s recap the defining features of the best explainer videos:
- The video should be no longer than 2 minutes in order to hold viewers' attention.
- Animated explainer videos are more engaging than live-action videos and can help concisely communicate complex information.
- SaaS explainer videos, for example, should highlight how the product or service can improve the viewer's business.
The best animated explainer videos can boost demand generation for B2B brands. Among all marketing tools, they provide the best ROI.
Finally, if you do not have an in-house explainer video production facility, you can use the remote video production services offered by top explainer video companies like Content Beta and Explainer Video Hero.