If you're reading this blog, chances are you're considering making an explainer video for your business. You've probably seen the benefits that other businesses have enjoyed after releasing their explainer videos and you want a piece of the pie.
In a Hubspot study, 83% of video marketers reported generating leads through video.
But before you jump into the world of explainer videos, there are a few things you need to know. In this blog post, we’ll give you some tips on promoting your explainer video for the best results.
By the end of this post, you should have a good understanding of how you can use the sales and marketing power of animated explainer videos.
What is an explainer video and do you need one?
An explainer video is a short (usually less than two minutes) video that explains or demonstrates something. They can be used to promote products and services, as well as to educate customers about the features or functionality of a product.
Here is an explainer video example created by Explainer Video Hero for In-app Chat, the Instant Messaging app.
An explainer video can help increase brand awareness for your business. This is because explainer videos are:
- Often shareable, which means that you can get to share it on forums and in communities to boost your social media game and increase conversion rate. 30 second explainer videos are the most trending explainer videos currently.
- Used to attract new customers and clients. For example, it can show potential customers how your product or service works in a way that is easy to understand.
- Useful for promoting new products or services, or explaining complex concepts in a relatable way.
- A great asset on your website as they can improve your SEO by increasing web traffic and engagement time.
What questions should you ask yourself before promoting your explainer video?
For any successful marketing campaign, you need to have a strategy. When it comes to marketing your explainer video, it is important to strategize and plan effectively.
Use the following checklist:
How to promote your explainer video?
As a B2B brand or software company, you want to make sure your explainer video is seen by the right people. So, how do you promote your explainer video to get the best results?
Explainer Video Hero (EVH) an explainer video company has put together a list of 6 ways to promote your explainer video for maximum impact:
1. Optimize your video
Explainer videos can be an invaluable asset for businesses looking to engage their customers and explain complicated products or services. However, without proper promotion, even the best explainer video can be ineffective in achieving its desired results.
Search engine optimization (SEO) is one of the most powerful methods for promoting any type of content online, including explainer videos. SEO helps search engines understand what your video is about and what purpose it serves, allowing them to show it to relevant audiences who are already interested in the topic.
To make sure it ranks higher in search engine results:
- Use keyword research tools like Google Trends and Keyword Planner for high-level research.
- Write better and more relevant content.
- Include keywords and phrases in titles, captions, and headers to make it easier for viewers to find. Link back to your website from the video itself.
- Use an attractive and relevant video thumbnail image. Avoid the temptation to make people click on your video using clickbait as it would alienate viewers from checking out your video content again.
- Include video transcripts, closed captions, and possibly translate it into a non-English language.
- Build quality backlinks.
- Monitor and evaluate SEO performance.
- Include an explainer video on the homepage of your website. YouTube is important too because it is the second largest search engine after Google.
Watch this explainer video example from Ahrefs on how to optimize your YouTube videos for search:
2. Use social media
Many companies are using social media channels to promote their explainer videos. It is a great way to reach out to a wider audience and get more exposure.
The success of an explainer video depends on how well it is promoted on social media channels.
You should post it at least three times a week on different platforms that your company is active on to make sure that it reaches a wide audience. Here is what you can do:
- Share it on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, and YouTube. You can also use other channels like Snapchat or Vine for specific purposes.
- Don’t try to be on every social media channel there is. However, do not neglect to be active on those you use.
- Encourage your followers to share the explainer video with their network.
- Include a link to your video from the “About Us” page on all of your social network accounts.
- Use relevant hashtags to reach more people.
- Create explainer videos for every product update.
This is the YouTube channel of Content Beta. Notice how this not only acts as a repository for their work but also guides visitors on how to get in touch with them for top-quality explainer videos used by more than a hundred top SaaS companies in the world:
3. Reach out to influencers
Influencer marketing is a form of marketing that uses influential people to promote products. In today’s world, it is a common marketing strategy. Influencers are usually bloggers, celebrities or social media influencers who have large followings on social media or blogs.
Using this strategy, these influencers can connect with their followers and promote products authentically to them.
Approach influencers in your industry that are relevant to your target audience and ask them to share the explainer video with their audiences. This can help you reach a larger audience than you would on your own.
Here are a few ways to promote your explainer video:
- Create a campaign with an influencer and ask them to promote your video.
- You can collaborate with an influencer and have them create content for you.
- Ask the influencer to review your video and give a testimonial. If you can manage a video testimonial, that would be even better.
Watch this influencer video example featuring lifestyle blogger Natalie Barbu for Asana, Skillshare, and Google Calendar:
4. Use it in your email marketing
Email marketing is an effective way to reach new potential customers with your explainer video. Include your explainer video in your email marketing campaigns.
Your first step should be to create an email list. You can use social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to create your list of subscribers. You should also include a sign-up form on your website for people who want to receive updates from you.
Email marketing can be used in a variety of ways:
- You can embed the video directly in your emails or include a link to the video on a landing page.
- Segment your list into groups and send out different versions of your explainer video to make sure you’re targeting the right people.
- You can send an email to your subscribers with a link to the video.
- You can offer discounts or free samples for people who watch the video.
Here is an explainer video example created by Explainer Video Hero for Spinify, the sales gamification platform, that you can use as part of your email marketing campaign:
5. Use paid advertising
Paid advertising is a very popular way to promote your explainer video. To get your explainer video in front of a larger audience, consider running ads on social media and on other platforms that your target audience uses.
You can use platforms like Facebook, YouTube, and Instagram to run ads specifically targeting people who may be interested in watching your video.
The main advantages of paid advertising for explainer videos are:
- You can target the audience that you want, which is not possible with other forms of advertising like social media.
- You can control the budget because you only pay when someone clicks on your ad or watches your video.
- Paid ads allow you to test different messages and see which one works best for your audience using A/B testing.
There are two main types of paid advertising - Google Ads (PPC) and Display Ads. With PPC, you can target your ads based on specific keywords that people are searching for. Display ads work by drawing attention to your video when someone browses a website or app.
Another advantage of using paid advertising is that it’s relatively cheap and easy to set up compared to other marketing strategies such as content marketing.
You can use an explainer video example like this one created by Explainer Video Hero for Nectar--the Employee Recognition Software:
6. Use blog posts
Blog posts are an effective and relatively inexpensive way to reach potential customers. They provide an opportunity to educate readers about your product or service, as well as build trust and credibility. Here’s how to use blog posts to get the most out of your explainer videos:
- Ensure that the content of your blog post is related to the message behind your video. This connection should be made clear in both text and visuals – such as screenshots from the video itself or images that visually represent it.
- When writing, keep it simple but engaging; too much detail can cause readers to lose interest quickly.
- After creating a captivating post, include a link at the bottom directing readers toward your video. Again, you want to get people to watch and share your content.
- You can also include call-to-actions in your video that prompt viewers to share your post on social media. This is a great way to increase the number of views on your videos.
Suppose you are writing a blog post on ways to show process steps using effects, an explainer video example like this one from Content Beta would make your blog more convincing:
7. Use it on ‘Thank You’ page
Other places to include are product pages and ‘Thank You’ pages. Usually, a Thank You Page appears after a user makes a purchase or fills out an opt-in form.
You can also use it to offer a discount or link to your important content.
Watch this video example on the importance of having a ‘Thank You’ page, and how it can be put to good use:
How to measure the success of your explainer videos?
If you're thinking about creating an explainer video, it's important to set goals for yourself. After all, your goal is to make the video successful. There are a few things that you can measure to help achieve this success.
- Track how much engagement your video has on social media platforms. This includes likes, shares, and comments.
- Look at whether people who watched your video took action as a result of watching it (for example, clicked through to a landing page or made a purchase).
- Check how long people spend watching your video. This information can be used to determine which parts of the video are most engaging for viewers. You can also use this data to create shorter versions of your videos that are more tailored for specific platforms (such as YouTube or Facebook).
Apart from these factors, you may have other business objectives. You should first decide what you want to achieve with your promotional activity.
Explainer videos are an incredibly powerful marketing tool that can help businesses increase conversion rates, brand awareness, and click-through rates on online ads.
However, promoting your explainer video using social media platforms and email marketing is vital for spreading the word about your business and increasing its reach.
The best way to promote your explainer videos is by creating shareable content. Simply put, explainer videos are at their best when it is promoted the right way.