It has become increasingly common to use motion graphics in animated explainer videos. But what is motion graphics?
A motion graphic is a graphic design that uses animation, static images, or digital footage to create the illusion of motion.
While motion graphics can be used in any type of video, they are particularly well-suited for animation explainer videos. This is because explainer videos need to convey complex information in a concise and visually appealing manner.
In this guide, we will discuss motion graphics in some detail. We will also talk about how your B2B brand can use motion graphics using explainer video examples created by reputed explainer video services.
PART I: What are motion graphics explainer videos?
Before we talk about motion graphic explainer videos, let us understand what is an explainer video. An explainer video highlights the value of a company's product, service, or brand. It could be a 30 second explainer videos, a 3d animated explainer video, or an explainer video animation.
This example motion graphics explainer video was created by Content Beta for Leadfeeder, the B2B Lead Generation Software.
A motion graphic explainer video is a short animated video that uses graphic design and animation to explain an idea or concept. These videos are particularly well suited for communicating complex ideas in a simple, engaging way.
You shouldn't overlook motion graphics when creating an explainer video for your business because they can improve engagement and conversion rates.
We will also try to answer some of the most commonly asked questions about motion graphics, and how they differ from other types of explainer videos.
1. How do motion graphic videos and animation videos differ?
Let us understand the difference between motion graphics and animation because people tend to confuse the two:
- Uses animation software to create moving images from scratch
- Used for entertainment purposes
- Typically made up of still images or video footage that is then edited and put together to create a sequence
- Used to communicate a message or tell a story
2. How do motion graphic videos and whiteboard animation videos differ?
Let’s look at this example to get the concept of motion graphics right:
- Typically have a white background and the story is “drawn” in real-time
- Good for linear narration
- Used for breaking down complex concepts using text, music, and graphics.
- More versatile and can be used in a variety of ways
Here is an example of a whiteboard animation video from Apple:
3. How do motion graphic videos and live-action videos differ?
Both motion graphics and live-action have their place in video production. To create effective and engaging content, you need to choose the right type of video.
- Features real people and settings make it feel more “real” to the viewers and more persuasive than animation
- Used to add visual interest to a video and make them more eye-catching and memorable
- Used to add visual interest to a video and make them more eye-catching and memorable
- Used for explainer videos and product demos since they simplify complicated ideas and processes
Here is a Content Beta study involving 100+ SaaS companies that explains how explainer videos are created using different video styles and their combinations.
4. What are the types of motion graphics explainer videos?
These are some of the most common types:
- Animated explainer videos - To help present complex information in a simple and visually appealing way
- Product demos - To make it easy for viewers to understand complex concepts
- Brand videos - To complement the voiceover as it narrates what the company stands for
- Logo introduction - Logos and companies are inseparable. Useful for launching new logos and rebranding
- How-to videos - Introduce new products by highlighting brand colors and assets
5. An example of a motion graphics explainer video
This motion graphics explainer video example describes Spotify’s ad and user metrics systems:
PART II: Does your B2B brand need motion graphic explainer videos?
Explainer videos are invaluable for performing a variety of tasks from explaining complex concepts and creating customer education content to explaining how products work and raising brand awareness.
In this section, we will see why B2B brands might want to use motion graphics explainer videos to achieve their marketing and training goals.
1. You want to elevate your brand to the Big League
Explainer videos have become relatively commonplace. Motion graphics videos, on the other hand, are still a niche product. They could be just what you need to take your explainer videos to the next level, as this Content Beta study involving more than 100 SaaS companies will tell you.
As you can see, motion graphics videos at 19% top the list of the most preferred video style:
2. You want to stand out from the crowd
The internet is a pretty crowded place. There's a lot of competition for attention, and it can be tough to stand out from the crowd and get people to pay attention to what you're trying to say.
With B2B software products and services, it can be difficult for customers to test or experience them personally. A B2B brand can make use of an explainer video for the purpose.
The motion graphics explainer video and animated explainer videos are about showcasing the uniqueness of your product or service.
Here are some ways in which motion graphics explainer videos can help you be different:
- They are attention-grabbing, which means that people are more likely to listen to your message.
- The use of engaging visuals and sound makes for a powerful combination that can make even the most information-packed video interesting and entertaining.
- They allow for a more natural and seamless way to present product features, benefits, and functions.
- They help B2B brands build awareness by establishing a connection with their customers on an emotional level. This kind of connection is important for the average B2B company, as they typically don't offer their customers the opportunity to interact with their product or service in person.
Here is an example of a motion graphics explainer video created by Explainer Video Hero for Ibexa DXP - The dedicated digital experience platform for B2B:
3. You want better engagement
As a business, you always want to be on the lookout for new and innovative ways to enhance their sales and marketing power. The more people you can reach, the more successful your business will be. Motion graphics explainer videos can help. They tell a story or explain a concept in a way that is easy to understand.
As a result, people are more likely to stick around and watch the entire video, which is exactly what you want.
Since motion graphics explainer videos are so engaging, they're also more likely to be remembered. This is great news for your business because it means that people are more likely to think of you when they need your product or service.
Moreover, a motion graphics explainer video is the perfect piece of content to share on social media or your website. People are more likely to watch and share a video than they are to read a blog post or article.
Watch this example of a motion graphic explainer video created by Explainer Video Hero for In-app chat, the instant messaging App:
4. You want a bigger bang for the buck
One of the best things about motion graphics explainer videos is that they're incredibly versatile. This means that they can be used for a variety of purposes, such as marketing a new product, explaining a complex concept, or even just telling a story.
You might think that a high-quality motion graphics explainer video would be expensive to produce. But the truth is, they can be quite cost-effective, especially when you compare them to other types of marketing materials such as television commercials or print ads.
One of the great things about motion graphics explainer videos is that they can be used for a variety of purposes.
For example, you can use them to:
- Explain your product or service
- Demonstrate how your product or service works
- Highlight the benefits of your product or service
- Build brand awareness
- Generate leads
Create-once-and-use-it-multiple-times strategy can result in huge marketing cost savings and faster turn-around time for marketing campaigns.
Watch this example of a motion graphic explainer video created by Explainer Video Hero for myCOI, the automation solution for the request, collection, and resolution of insurance certificates:
Wrapping up the article
Motion graphics are perfect for explainer videos because they add an extra layer of interest and engagement. By using animation, videos with characters, and moving graphics, explainer videos are able to capture attention and deliver information in a fun and engaging way.
They are more memorable than traditional, static videos. This means they can help B2B brands engage with customers that much better.
Engaged customers are likely to stick with the brand. Customer loyalty can help B2B brands realize lifetime value and save the trouble of investing to acquire new customers during lean times.
Finally, if you do not have an in-house explainer video production facility, you can use the remote video production services offered by top explainer video companies like Content Beta and Explainer Video Hero.