An animated explainer video is a video that explains, well, anything!
For example, you could use it to explain how your product works or what your company does.
It can explain complex concepts simply and engagingly, increase conversion rates and boost sales, create brand awareness, and build trust with potential customers.
You can even repurpose any marketing content such as documents and podcasts into explainer videos and docs-to-videos type of visual content.
Animated explainer videos, as they are also known, are important for SaaS businesses because they help to quickly and effectively explain complex concepts to potential customers.
According to HubSpot, more than 81% of companies showcase videos on their website today, so failing to have an explainer video is almost considered a sin.
In this guide, we will discuss why they are effective and why they have now become the go-to tool for SaaS marketers.
What makes animated explainer videos effective?
The popularity of animated explainer videos on the internet has boomed over the last few years. It's easy to see why - they're excellent at communicating information in a concise and visually appealing manner.
But what exactly are animated explainer videos?
Explainer videos use animation and narration to explain complex concepts and products in an engaging, easy-to-understand manner.
Here is an example of an animated explainer video created by Content Beta for Jivochat, the Live Chat Software for websites:
Let us look at some of the many reasons why animated explainer videos are so effective:
1. They capture attention
If you're looking for a way to capture viewers' attention and communicate your message in a fun and engaging way, look no further than animated explainer videos.
By using colorful visuals and engaging narration using a conversational tone, animated explainer videos can:
- Grab attention and hold it from start to finish. This ability makes them perfect for keeping viewers engaged with your message.
- Break down complex concepts and turn them into an easy-to-understand story that your viewers will remember.
- Make viewers feel like the brand is talking directly to them. This helps create a solid relationship between the brand and the viewer that encourages further engagement.
Here is an animated explainer video from Crazy Egg, the online web page monitoring tool. The video was created back in 2013 and has a YouTube view count of 3.15 million:
2. They are uncomplicated
They simplify things and easily explain even complex concepts using simple language and a friendly tone of voice.
- In addition to being short and digestible, they begin with a hook that makes viewers want to keep watching.
- They entertain viewers who enjoy a good story. Engaged viewers are more likely to pay attention to the message being conveyed.
- They use animation, which helps make complicated topics easy to grasp.
- They use (mostly) linear narration with a clear beginning and end. Viewers are guided smoothly from one scene to the next in these videos.
Content Beta created this animated explainer video for Pictatic, the ticketing and registration solutions for the events industry:
3. They are shareable
Animated explainer videos are shareable. It's nearly impossible to find a video that people won’t want to share--explainer videos are no exception.
They’re perfect for sharing across social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.
If you're looking to make your animated explainer videos more shareable, there are a few things you can do.
- First, make sure the video is engaging and interesting. If it's dull, no one is going to want to share it.
- Second, keep it short. People's attention spans are shorter than ever, so make sure your video is under two minutes.
- Finally, make sure it's easy to share. Include share buttons and make sure the video is hosted on a platform like YouTube or Vimeo that makes it easy to embed on other websites.
Watch this example of an animated explainer video created by Content Beta for Nectar, the Employee Recognition Software. 30 second explainer videos are trending in the market, the video too has a run time of just 39 seconds:
4. They are versatile
In today’s world, technology is ever evolving and businesses are constantly looking for new ways to reach their target audiences. One of the most popular and effective ways to do this is through the use of animated explainer videos.
Animated explainer videos can be used in a variety of ways and for several purposes:
- They can be used for product or service promotion, as well as to educate people about a topic or even just tell a story.
- They are flexible and can be made to fit the brand, style, and tone of a company or organization.
- They are mobile-friendly; these videos are created for mobile devices. If you are looking to reach consumers on the go, consider making an animated explainer video. These videos can be viewed on mobile devices without any difficulty.
- They can help businesses reach a wide range of audiences, including those who are not familiar with their brand.
- They can be customized to fit the specific needs of a business. For example, a business can choose to have a character that represents their brand, or they can use real people in their videos.
Watch this animated explainer video for Airtable, the cloud collaboration service:
5. They are affordable
Animated explainer videos are one of the most cost-effective marketing tools available. The explainer video pricing is relatively inexpensive compared to other types of marketing and promotional tools.
For a fraction of the cost of a traditional commercial, you can create a high-quality, engaging video that will reach a wide audience.
There are several reasons why these videos are so cost-effective:
- First, they can be created relatively quickly and easily.
- Second, they are highly shareable, so your audience will continue to grow with each view.
- Finally, they have a long shelf life and will continue to attract viewers over time. They can be updated and reused in a variety of ways. This makes them cost-effective as they provide an excellent ROI.
What are some best practices for animated explainer videos?
Animated explainer videos are an incredibly effective marketing tool--when done right.
A good animated explainer video is one that is able to concisely and effectively communicate a message to the viewer. This is typically done through the use of engaging visuals and a clear and concise script.
For an animated explainer video to be effective, it must be able to grab the viewer’s attention and communicate a message in a short amount of time.
Studies have shown that people are more likely to remember information that is presented to them in an audio/visual format, which is why animated explainer videos are so effective in holding the viewer’s attention throughout the video and leaving them with a positive impression.
Here are some tips to ensure your animated explainer video is a success:
- Keep it concise: The average attention span is only 8 seconds, so you want to make sure your video is short.
- Use a strong script: A good story will captivate your audience and keep them engaged throughout the video.
- Use engaging visuals: Animated videos are all about visuals, so make them eye-catching and interesting.
- Use professional voiceover narration: Human touch can make a world of difference in how your video is perceived by viewers.
- Include a call to action: Your video should have a purpose, and that purpose should be clear to viewers from the start. Adding a CTA will help viewers to take the next step.
Wrapping up the article
In the internet age, people are used to getting their information in short, digestible bits. That’s why animated explainer videos have become so popular in recent years–they’re an effective way to communicate complex information quickly and clearly.
They are also visually stimulating, which can help hold someone's attention long enough to get your message across. Animated explainer videos can be a great way to market your company.
A professional animated explainer video company can provide you with remote video production services and help you create the best explainer videos if you are new to the medium.
Finally, when you hire top explainer video companies, the explainer video cost to produce the best animated explainer videos is justified because of the excellent ROI they provide.